Australian drummer/percussionist Will Guthrie uses amplified found and junk, microphones, electronics, drums and cymbals. He works in many different settings of music: live performance, improvisation and studio composition.
He studied jazz and improvised music(s) at the Victorian College of the Arts in Melbourne, Australia and alongside Ren Walters he started the weekly concert series 'Improvised Tuesdays', now known as the Make It Up Club and is Australia's longest running performance space dedicated to experimental and improvised musics. In Nantes, France he is part of the collective CABLE# which also organises regular concerts and an annual festival. He also runs the experimental improvised CD label and mailorder service; ANTBOY MUSIC.
He plays solo using different combinations of drums, percussion, amplification and electronics, in minimalist/maximalist free jazz trio THE AMES ROOM, in appalachian mutant folk duo ELWOOD & GUTHRIE, as well as the electro/acoustic improvised/composed ensemble THYMOLPHTHALEIN.
Regular collaborators past and present include Jean-Luc Guionnet, Clayton Thomas, Scott Stroud, Jérôme Noetinger, Anthony Pateras, Erell Latimier, Matthew Earle, Adam Sussmann, Ferran Fages, Jean-Philippe Gross, Greg Kingston, Helmut Schafer, Keith Rowe, Ren Walters, Mark Simmonds, Snuff Puppetts ...
Will currently lives in Nantes, France.
NEW WEBSITE HERE:
SOLO - using various combinations of drums, percussion, amplification and electronics
THE AMES ROOM - minimalist maximalist terror jazz, with Jean-Luc Guionnet and Clayton Thomas
ELWOOD & GUTHRIE - appalachian trance folk music, with banjo player and singer Scott Stroud
"...&MICS" - investigating relationships between the acoustic, amplified, recording and playback, with Jean-Luc Guionnet and Jerome Noetinger
THYMOLPHTHALEIN - organised improvisation / loose composition with Anthony Pateras, Natasha Anderson, Clayton Thomas & Jerome Noetinger
DUO projects with Jerome Noetinger, Keith Rowe, Mikko Savela, Sebastien Coste, Erell Latimier,
* 'Rose Coded' - CDR - (antboy-01), 2002 - Melbourne
* 'Building Blocks' - CD - (antboy-04), 2003 - Melbourne
* 'SPEAR' - miniCDR - (antboy-05), 2005 - Nantes
* 'Body and limbs still look to light' - CD - (cathnor02), 2006 - Nantes
* Will Guthrie / Martin Kuchen - split 3" CDR - (Compost & Height 011), 2009 - Brittany
* 'Spike(s)' - 7" single - (pica disc), 2009 - Brittany
* 'Heavy Water' w/ New Blood (Adam Simmons, Ben Carr, Will Guthrie), CD - (FATRAIN-04), 1999 - Melbourne
* 'Hills Hoist' w/ Greg Kingston, miniCDR - (antboy-02), 2003 - Melbourne
* 'Bridges' w/ Matthew Earle & Adam Sussmann, CD - (antboy-03), 2003 - Sydney
* 'Document 04' w/ Matthew Earle & Adam Sussmann, CDR - (document-04), 2003 - Melbourne
* 'no 5' w/ Kazushige Kinoshita, Takefumi Naoshima & Yasuo Totsuka, CDR - (fronmusic), 2003 - Tokyo
* 'facet' w/ Takefumi Naoshima, CDR - (horma-28), 2003 - Tokyo
* 'Assumptions2' w/ Julien Wlison & Steve Magnusson, CD -Â (Newmarket), 2003 - Melbourne
* 'Departures' w/ Julien Wlison & Steve Magnusson, CD - (Newmarket), 2004 - Melbourne
* 'Leave me Bitter' w/ Alexandre Bellenger & Miho, CDR - (ARR-16), 2004 - Paris
* CHARLIE CHARLIE presents 'La Respiration des Saintes', miniCDR - (antboy-06), 2005 - Nantes
* 'Cinabri' w/ Ferran Fages, CDR - (absurd -54), 2004/05 - Paris/Barcelona
* 'November Quebec' w/ [N:Q] (Keith Rowe, Julien Ottavi, Manu Leduc, Will Guthrie), CD - (esquilo), 2005 - Nantes
* 'Live at LMC's 14th Festival' w/ Jean-Philippe Gross & Ferran Fages, CDR - (antboy-09/LMC2), 2005 - London
* 'What's Left' w/ Ren Walters & Chris Bekker, CD - (listening02), 2007 - Melbourne
* 'Elwood & Guthrie' - CDR - (Rural Faune rur048cdr), 2008 - Nantes
* 'Patrice Grente, Will Guthrie, Cedric Piromalli' - CDR - (Petit Label), 2008 - Caen
* 'IN' w/ THE AMES ROOM - LP - (monoLP003), 2009 - Noirt, Poznan
* 'Ni maitre, Ni Marteau' w/ THYMOLPHALEIN - LP - (DeMEGO015), 2009 - Basel
* 'Face Off' w/ Jerome Noetinger - CD - (erstwhile 064), 2010 - Nantes/Rives
* 'Bird Dies' w/ THE AMES ROOM - CD - (clean feed), 2011 - Lille
* 'Thought Provoking III' w/ Helmut Schafer - CD - (23five), 2006/2012 - Graz